History of Marlin, Texas
Used with permission from The Handbook of Texas Online.
Marlin, the county seat of Falls County, is at the
intersection of State highways 6 and 7, four miles east of the Brazos
River near the center of the county. The site was that of Sarahville
de Viesca, established in 1834 by Sterling Clack Robertson on the
west side of the falls of the Brazos. The town was named to honor John
Marlin, a pioneer patriot. Samuel A. Blain, his son-in-law, laid out
the streets and lots and drafted a map around a square. Lots for Presbyterian,
Methodist, and Baptist churches were the first to be chosen. The Presbyterian
church was built first and used as a union church. All three churches
relocated east of the square. Zenas Bartlett's General Store was the
first business, and its brick building was used for a school for a
short period. Bartlett's wife later deeded the property to the city
as a site for the city hall. Marlin had a freighting business, a tavern,
a law office, and later the Green-Bartlett Mercantile Business. The
first courthouse was a log cabin; it was used for county business and
court, as a school taught by Dr. Giles W. Cain, as a church, as a meeting
place for political and community meetings, and as a dance hall. The
present courthouse was constructed in 1938-39 after the historic structure
of 1887 was declared unsafe. Marlin had private schools before the
county was organized. When the Education Act of 1854, under Governor
E. M. Pease, was passed, Falls County was granted permanent school lands
in Cooke, Wise, and Archer counties. In 1871 a tuition school, Marlin Male
and Female Academy, was located on Ward Street north of the public square.
It changed names and locations, and the property was finally sold in 1886.
Fire destroyed the public school building in 1900, and a new brick school
was constructed in 1903. In 1923 the Marlin Independent School District
was established. Two community black schools were organized in 1875; they
were dependent on state funds and met in the Baptist and African Methodist
church buildings. In 1916 the city council voted to build a school for
blacks. Later, the school was moved to Commerce Street and was named Booker
T. Washington. Teachers and students were integrated in the Marlin Independent
Schools by 1970-71.
in 1867. The Houston and Texas Central Railway completed its line in 1871.
The population of Marlin tripled from 500 to 1,500 in a decade. In 1901
a second railroad, the International-Great Northern, laid its tracks into
town and dredged a lake in what became the City Park, which is still used
as a recreation area, a site for Marlin Festival Days, and as a Youth Center
for its Falls County Future Farmer, 4-H Club, and Future Homemaker annual
shows. In 1851 the post office was established, and John W. Jarvis, the
sheriff and a former teacher, was appointed postmaster. Mail was brought
in by stage. The Bank of Marlin was chartered in 1892 and closed in 1963.
The Marlin National Bank and the First State Bank have operated since the
early 1900s. The Marlin Compress and Cotton Seed Oil Mills were established
in 1892 by a board of directors headed by J. A. Martin. The same year hot
mineral water was found during the search for an artesian well. Dr. J.
W. Cook promoted Marlin as a health center. Bethesda Bathhouse, Majestic
Bathhouse, Imperial Hotel, Torbett Hospital, and the pavilion for the flowing
hot water fountain were all founded soon after. For the next fifty years
Marlin geared its economy to the health industry. Dr. S. P. Rice had an
infirmary and drugstore. In 1925 Dr. Frank H. Shaw built a crippled children's
clinic, providing treatment and therapy for handicapped children, including
victims of polio and arthritis. He utilized the hot mineral water in a
swimming pool and provided other muscle building therapy. This hospital
was closed after World War II.
There have been several
newspapers, including one published by the black community, called the
Falls County Freeman, and others of brief duration. The Marlin Ball began
publication in 1874 by T. C. Oltorf and continued until about 1901; then
the Marlin Democrat, established by two Kennedy brothers in 1890, became
a daily paper about 1898. In 1990 it remained the only daily paper in the
county. A weekly, the Falls County Record, was popular in the 1940s and
1950s. Telephones reached Marlin by 1900; automobiles, electricity, and
Lone Star Gas soon followed. Marlin had the Peacock Bottling Company, stock
pens, a brick yard, a turkey-processing plant, a saddlery, a water crystalization
plant, and a pottery plant. By the 1990s there was an auction barn, independent
cattle trucking companies, and nursing homes. The population showed a steady
increase, peaking at about 8,000 in 1970. The growing number of senior
citizens has given rise to federally funded housing apartments, a civic
center, two nursing homes, transportation vans, and a new office building
for Texas Human Resources. The old Buie-Allen Hospital is a halfway house
for girls. In September 1989 the Texas Department of Corrections opened
the 1,000-bed William Pettus Hobby Unit. In 1990 the population of Marlin
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Roy Eddins, ed., and Old Settlers and Veterans Association
of Falls County, comp., History of Falls County, Texas (Marlin, Texas?,
1947). Roy Eddins, ed., Marlin's Public Schools from the 1840s to 1960
(Marlin, Texas: Marlin Ex-Students Association, 1961). A Memorial and
Biographical History of McLennan, Falls, Bell, and Coryell Counties (Chicago:
Lewis, 1893; rpt., St. Louis: Ingmire, 1984). Vertical Files, Barker
Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin.
First National Bank, Marlin
The first floor of this building is still in use as a bank to this day.
Click here to see more
The History of Falls County
Used with permission from The Handbook of Texas
COUNTY. Falls County (H-18) is located in Central Texas and
is surrounded by Limestone, Robertson, Milam, Bell, and McLennan counties.
Marlin, the largest town and county seat, is 24 miles south of Waco and
121 miles south of Dallas. The county's center lies at 31°15' north latitude
and 96°54' west longitude. Falls County covers 765 square miles in the
Blackland Prairie region. The gently rolling terrain consists of broad
flatlands, with elevations ranging from 300 to 500 feet, and the Brazos
River bisects the county. Over 70 percent of the county contains upland
clayey and loamy soil used primarily for pasture and cultivated crops.
The rest of the area has deep loamy or sandy and loamy soil which is
used for specialized crops such as tomatoes and watermelons. The main
natural resource is the land, but there are a few oil and gas wells.
Mineral artesian wells in Marlin have made it a health center. Temperatures
range from an average high of 93° F in July to an average low of 39°
in January. The average yearly rainfall is slightly less than thirty-four
inches and the growing season lasts 257 days.
falls of the Brazos River have long been an important fording and camping
area for Indians and white settlers. The first Americans in the area
were sent in 1819 by Dr. James Long to establish a trading house. Because
of problems with the Mexican government they did not stay long. In 1825
the area was included in the impresario grant to Robert Leftwich
of the Texas Association, a group from Nashville, Tennessee, which sought
permission from the Mexican government to settle in Texas. Colonization
did not take place at that time, however. Until 1829 the falls area did
not have a permanent Indian settlement but served as hunting grounds for
several tribes, including Wacos, Tawakonis, and Anadarkos, who were often
attacked from the north by the stronger Comanches. The Cherokees arrived
in the early 1830s, after the other Indians had been weakened by internal
wars in 1829-30. The Cherokees were alone in the area until 1834-35, when
Sterling C. Robertson began bringing American settlers to his Nashville
colony (later called Robertson's colony ). Although it was illegal under
new laws passed by the Mexican government, nine families had settled in
the area by 1830. In 1833 Robertson established the capital of his Nashville
colony and called it Sarahville de Viesca. At this time problems with
the Indians were exacerbated by clashes with the Mexicans, and in 1835
the settlers prepared for war with Mexico. The change of name from Fort
Viesca to Fort Milam reflected the shift away from Mexico. In early 1836
all the settlers fled during the Runaway Scrape, giving Viesca the name
of "the town that died overnight." After the battle of San Jacinto
families returned to the area, but Fort Milam never reached its former
importance except as the head of the Brazos military operations against
the Indians. By 1837-38 the Marlin family returned to Bucksnort, near Fort
Milam, along with the Morgan family. By this time Indians had become a
constant threat. In June 1837 several men were attacked and one killed.
On January 1, 1839, the women and children at Morgan Point, the home of
the Morgans, were killed in what came to be called Morgan's Massacre. On
January 10 the same group of Indians attacked Fort Marlin and were repulsed.
Six days later the men from Bucksnort attacked the Indians; each side lost
ten men, but the Indians won the encounter. Later that year the Texas legislature
authorized men to patrol the region, and conflicts with Indians soon ceased.
Peace was officially declared in 1845.
On January 28, 1850, the state legislature formed Falls County from Limestone
and Milam counties. The falls of the Brazos gave the county its name. Since
Falls County was established its boundaries have not changed. The legislature
stipulated that Viesca would be the county seat, but the citizens petitioned
for another location because most of the residents lived east of the Brazos
River. The citizens voted 20-0 in favor of Adams, which officially became
the county seat on January 30, 1851. Soon after, the town was renamed Marlin
in honor of the Marlin family. The settlers of Falls County came from the
slaveholding South, primarily Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. By the
census of 1860 the county had 1,716 slaves (47 percent of the total population)
and 504 farms. Falls County relied less on cotton than other Texas counties,
harvesting only 2,030 bales in 1860, and relied instead on a diverse agricultural
economy. Wool was a major crop, with 17,500 pounds produced in 1860, the
highest in Falls County history. Cattle was the most important livestock,
with 26,310, a total not matched until 1900.
County approved secession almost unanimously in 1861. The only dissenters
were two prominent slaveholders. Almost 600 men, twice the voting population,
fought for the Confederacy, and many lost their lives. Because of the distance
from the occupied areas of the Confederacy, many refugees fled to Falls
County. Some paused only briefly on their way to Mexico. Between 1860 and
1870 the white population grew from 3,614 to 16,240 while the black population
went from 1,716 to 4,681. At the same time the number of farms went down
35 percent. Reconstruction was not as painful in Falls County as in other
areas. The only person who could be considered a carpetbagger was District
Judge J. W. Oliver, who was appointed by Governor Edmund J. Davis. During
his tenure he called in black troops, which caused unrest in the county.
George Elam, a Republican, was elected county judge in 1871 and 1873, perhaps
with the help of the enfranchised freedmen. He could not be considered
an outsider, however, since he fought in the Confederate army from Falls
County. At the beginning of his term county taxes rose drastically. In
1876 Falls County was totally "redeemed" from
Republican rule with the election of E. C. Stewart, a former slaveholder,
who had owned thirty-nine slaves valued at $31,200 in 1864. After Reconstruction
the county voted Democratic longer than most Texas counties. In 1872 the
Republicans carried Falls County by only twenty-four votes, 50.7 percent
of the total, due to the enfranchisement of blacks. After that, the county
did not vote Republican in a presidential election for a century. The Democrats
won 82 percent of the vote in the 1876 election. Falls County returned
Democratic majorities in every election until Richard Nixon's victory over
liberal Democrat George McGovern in 1972. The county then returned to its
Democratic practices, voting overwhelmingly for Jimmy Carter in 1976 and
1980. County voters helped Republican Ronald Reagan win Texas in 1984 but
returned to the Democratic party in 1988 and 1992.
Between 1880 and 1930 Falls County prospered, and its population gradually
increased from 16,238 to 38,771. The economy remained primarily agricultural
with diverse crops and livestock raising. The number of farms rose from
2,492 in 1880 to 6,014 in 1930. During this period cotton rose steadily
from 12,495 to 61,989 bales, the largest crop ever. Five times as much
poultry was raised by 1930, and corn rose from 376,555 to 1,110,376 bushels.
The black population doubled during this fifty-year period but failed to
keep pace with the white population. Blacks comprised 41 percent of the
population in 1880 but only 32 percent by 1930. The black population and
white population remained on good terms, and in 1882 a black county commissioner,
Nelson Denson, was elected.
Transportation in Falls County relied on stagecoach lines and private
transportation until the Reconstruction era. Until the middle 1880s cattle
were driven up to the Waco area to connect with the Chisholm Trail. The
Houston and Texas Central Railroad became the first railroad through the
county around 1870. It passed through Marlin and led to the establishment
of the towns of Reagan and Perry. Two other railroads eventually passed
through the county. When the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway came
through in 1890-92 it led to the founding of Rosebud, Travis, Lott, Chilton,
and Satin, which in turn resulted in a shift of the county's population
from east to west. In 1902 the Missouri Pacific passed through Marlin,
and the towns of Eloise, Highbank, McClanahan, and Otto soon grew up along
the line. The first automobile appeared in the county in 1904. By 1927
the road which eventually became U.S. Highway 77 became a state highway.
In 1930 the other major road in the county became State Highway 7. In 1915
an airport shed was built to house three airplanes. Promoters put on an
airshow near Marlin, but it was closed one year later when a female pilot
was killed in a crash. Marlin was the largest town, with a population of
4,000, just over 10 percent of the county's total population. Most residents
lived in rural areas or small towns. From 1880 to 1920 the number of manufacturing
establishments increased from twelve to thirty-four employing 100 people.
By 1930 the number dropped to eight establishments employing 118 people.
Hot mineral springs were discovered in 1891 in Marlin, which became a major
health resort in the early twentieth century.
The years of the Great Depression and World War IIq brought about significant
changes in Falls County. The population dropped by 8 percent, the first
decline since the formation of the county. The ratio of blacks to whites
remained the same. The depression caused a 64 percent drop in the number
of farms, and the value of the farms dropped 55 percent. Cotton dropped
57 percent, and corn dropped to less than 1 percent of its earlier high.
Hog raising remained steady, while cattle and sheep raising increased 25
and 61 percent, respectively. Falls County continued to feel the effects
of the depression and had a slow recovery from 1950 to 1982. The population
decreased steadily until 1970, when it levelled off at 17,000. The county
gained 646 people between 1970 and 1980, and the percentage of blacks dropped
from the 32 percent level it had maintained for sixty years to 27 percent.
In 1990 there were 17,712 county residents. The number of cattle reached
its highest point of 106,807 in 1982, while the numbers of hogs and sheep
dropped to an insignificant number. The decrease in farms continued until
there were only 1,117 in 1982. Cotton became insignificant and corn returned
almost to its predepression level, but wheat and grain sorghum became major
crops, each with over a million bushels. Manufacturing establishments averaged
around twelve during this period and employed the most people in 1967 before
declining once again. Fertilizer, farming equipment, and supplies were
the main manufactured goods. The mineral water in Marlin remained an important
industry. Manufacturing went from 8 percent of employment in 1965 to 19
percent in 1986. Retail trade remained at around 35 percent and services
around 29 percent during the same time period.
Although the automobile became an important mode of transportation, State
Highway 6 was the only major highway built after 1930. In 1982 the total
public road mileage was 1,179 miles. In 1974 Falls County had 6,944 registered
vehicles and by 1982 there were 17,422. Marlin Oil Company installed the
first electric generator in Marlin in the early 1890s, but it was only
available to a few homes and businesses. Education improved drastically
over three decades. In 1950 only 13 percent of those over twenty-five were
high school graduates; by 1980 that number had risen to 42 percent. In
1982 an estimated 11,901 residents (65 percent) belonged to one of the
fifty-three churches in the county, primarily Southern Baptist, Catholic,
and Methodist. Marlin had two cab companies, an intercity bus service,
and a municipal airport. The county had three newspapers, one radio station,
two libraries, and nine parks containing 717 acres. Every spring Festival
days are held in Marlin.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Walter W. Brawn, The History of Falls County (M.A. thesis,
Baylor University, 1938). Old Settlers and Veterans Association of Falls
County, History of Falls County, Texas (Marlin?, Texas, 1947). Falls County
Historical Commission, Families of Falls County (Austin: Eakin Press, 1987).
Lillian S. St. Romain, Western Falls County, Texas (Austin: Texas State
Historical Association, 1951).
This building can still be seen in downtown Marlin.
Click here to see more photos
Mineral Water Springs and Wells in Texas
Used with permission from The Handbook of Texas
SPRINGS AND WELLS. From the early days of the Republic of
Texas, mineral-water springs and wells attracted health seekers. Sam
Houston bathed his wounds in the waters of Sour Lake in Hardin County
and in the sulfur springs of Piedmont in Grimes County. Davy Crockett
is said to have visited the Texas Sour Wells in Caldwell County. A German
geographer and philosopher, Ernst Kapp, established a hydropathic institute
in Sisterdale, Kendall County. Springs and wells varied in location, topography,
vegetation, and properties such as temperature, mineral composition, and
origin. About 100 years ago the appropriation of mineral waters for medicinal
purposes grew so popular that thousands of people visited springs and wells
yearly. More than 100 places developed into well-known resorts. In 1888
more than 6,000 baths were taken at Hanna Springs, a small, relatively
undeveloped spring in Lampasas. In the early 1900s visitors to Mineral
Wells, a town of 8,000 residents, numbered 150,000 annually. In the 1930s,
80,000 people visited Marlin annually. Texas resorts also attracted celebrities:
Teddy Roosevelt visited Hot Sulphur Wells outside San Antonio, and Mineral
Wells hosted, to name a few, Clark Gable, Tom (Thomas Edwin) Mix, Douglas
Fairbanks, and J. P. Morgan.
Texas spas were
unique among Texas towns and also different from resorts in the East. Daily
life at these resort towns revolved around the waters. Architecture reflected
the tradition. Pavilions and drinking fountains became gathering places
for local citizens, depots attracted bands and drummers to meet trains,
bathhouses set the scene for private ablutions, and large hotels employed
big bands for entertainment. Other diversions included domino games, burro
rides, picnics, and dances. Bathers overcame the fears attendant upon the
theory of miasma-that harmful vapors association with swampy waters cause
disease-to seek the sanative pleasures of the springs and wells. Osmotic
exchanges with the water were supposed to benefit the body. Rheumatism,
arthritis, and skin diseases were reportedly relieved more often than any
The use of mineral springs for therapeutic purposes declined
for several reasons. Many hotels burned or were washed away by floods,
and rebuilding them seemed inappropriate because medicine had begun to
change. With the rise of "germ theory" and the discovery of sulfa
drugs and antibiotics, the belief in the usefulness of mineral water diminished.
Many doctors supported water cures, but some began to eschew balneology,
the science of bathing, because of some resorts' extravagant claims. In
Marlin the tradition lasted into the 1960s, primarily because the medical
profession appropriated the practice and transformed it into a tool for
physical therapy. Other factors, such as war and depression, also hurt
resorts. The railroad guaranteed the success and demise of some resorts.
Tioga was founded where railroad workers stopped to drink the water. Hanna
and Hancock Springs boomed after the railroad arrived at Lampasas, but
when the terminus moved farther west, the popularity of the springs began
a precipitous decline. The waters specifically influenced the settlement
of certain towns. Mineral Wells, Tioga, Sutherland Springs, and Wootan
Wells owed their existence to their waters. Economies of other towns, such
as Marlin, San Antonio, and Lampasas, partly depended upon the fact that
people considered them healthful places to visit.
"Taking the waters" was
a site-specific activity, but it also included consumption away from the
resort. Many waters that are now sold commercially come from Texas springs.
Tioga, Wootan Wells, and Marlin bottled their mineral waters. In 1910 Mineral
Wells was the largest shipping point for mineral water in the South, with
yearly shipments of more than three million bottles to cities in the South
and Midwest. In 1914 fifteen companies bottled Texas mineral water. One
company still bottled the water of Mineral Wells in 1990, and some people
continued to believe in its health-promoting qualities. Taking the waters
may not be as popular in Texas as it once was, but the practice still exists.
People do it at Stovall's Hot Wells in Jack County and Kingston Hot Springs
in Presidio County. Visitors to Big Bend National Park often sit in the
ruins of J. O. Langford's bathhouse beside the Rio Grande, where hot springs
continue to flow.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Mamie Wynne Cox, A Love Story in Mineral Wells (Mineral
Wells, Texas: Index, 1932). Ross Estes and Robert Duncan, eds., I Remember
Things: An Informal History of Tioga, Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1977).
William Edward Fitch, Mineral Waters of the United States and American
Spas (Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger, 1927). Anne Fox and Cheryl Lynn Highley,
History and Archeology of the Hot Wells Hotel Site (Center for Archeological
Research, University of Texas at San Antonio, 1985). S. W. Geiser, "Dr.
Ernst Kapp, Early Geographer in Texas," Field and Laboratory 14 (January
1946). Marlin Chamber of Commerce, Marlin: 1851-1976 (Waco, 1976). A. F.
Weaver, Time Was in Mineral Wells (Mineral Wells, Texas, Heritage Society,
Click here to see more photos
Used with permission from The Austin Chronicle.
The hot mineral waters of Marlin still flow from the fountain under the
public pavilion a couple of blocks east of the Falls County Courthouse.
For nearly 60 years the curative properties of the smelly, harsh-tasting
water attracted visitors to what was once a world-class resort city southeast
"What a welcome blessing it is to discover a mineral water that
when taken internally functions to promote the natural elimination of body
waste ... and when administered in the form of hot mineral water baths,
draws through the pores of the skin, the sluggish impurities that clog
the blood stream," read a magazine article of the early 1900s.
"A cup or two of the water and in about 45 minutes you'll need to
relieve yourself," says Dr. James Bryan, a member of the Falls County
Historical Commission and a local dentist. "That stuff will really
clean you out."
Bryan says the water has about the same chemical compound as Epsom salt
and is a natural laxative. Dr. Bryan grew up in Marlin and saw the last
gasps of a once thriving industry. "Antibiotics put them out
of business," he says of the health spas.
water was discovered under the farming community by accident in 1892.
Instead of drinking water, the new well produced a gusher of 147-degree
water containing large amounts of sodium, sulphur, magnesium, iron, and
Just how the
curative effects of the water were discovered is shrouded in the fog
of time. Dr. Bryan says that the town folks noticed that mangy dogs that
rolled in the water became cured. Another story says that a drifter who
had nowhere else to bathe but in the mineral well's runoff had skin lesions
healed after a few days.
Before the first
substantial bathhouse was built in 1895, Marlin was already a medical
center. "Waco didn't have a hospital at the time,
and Marlin had two," Dr. Bryan says. Local doctors began using the
mineral water to treat their patients.
The tubs of the Marlin
Sanitarium and other bathhouses attracted thousands of the inflicted,
as well as "health vacationers." There
was even a bathhouse that was owned by and catered to African-Americans.
Patrons purchased three-day or weeklong passes to the 6-foot-long, 2-foot-deep
porcelain tubs. The tickets allowed two baths a day administered by a
doctor, plus use of saunas and steam baths. Each treatment took two to
three hours, Dr. Bryan says.
visitors were looking to take advantage of their revived health, and
the merchants of Marlin were happy to accommodate. You wouldn't know
it to look at Marlin now, but it was "a party animal" back
then, says Dr. Bryan.
The grand Arlington
Hotel was as fancy as anything in Hot Springs, Ark. The Majestic Hotel
offered 125 rooms and private access to their own bathhouse. Conrad Hilton
arrived in town late, but still in time to profit from the eighth hotel
in his growing chain of hotels.
of the day worked and rested in Marlin, and big-name bands played Dallas
or Houston on the weekend and Marlin during the week. Several professional
baseball teams held spring training in town, but the New York Giants returned
the most. In the 11 years the Giants came to Marlin (beginning in 1908),
they won three pennants.
The opulent Arlington
Hotel was dismantled in the 1930s and the bricks used to build a high school
and gymnasium. By the Seventies the number of visitors to the baths completely
dried up. Of the grand hotels, only the seven-story Hilton on Coleman Street
remains – a shell of what it was during its heyday. The last of the bathhouses
burned around 1990.
The most visible
sign of Marlin's glory days is the Municipal Hygeia, now partially enclosed
to house the visitors center at 245 Coleman St. Visitors once gathered
on benches under the pavilion to sip the curative waters from the original
well. After more than 100 years, the fountain still flows, and long tubs
provide free foot baths. For a walking tour of the historic sites of "Mineral Water City of Texas," call
the chamber at 254/803-3301 or visit
The Highlands Mansion
Click here to see more photos
Marlin Designated "Official Mineral Water City
76th Texas State Legislature
1-1 By: Averitt (Senate Sponsor - Ogden) H.C.R. No. 12
1-2 (In the Senate - Received from the House May 11, 1999;
1-3 May 12, 1999, read first time and referred to Committee on
1-4 Administration; May 13, 1999, reported favorably by the following
1-5 vote: Yeas 5, Nays 0; May 13, 1999, sent to printer.)
1-6 HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION
1-7 WHEREAS, The city of Marlin has long been associated with the
1-8 hot mineral water springs that bubble up from far beneath the Texas
1-9 soil, and for this reason it is truly appropriate that Marlin be
1-10 designated as the Official Hot Mineral Water City of Texas; and
1-11 WHEREAS, The discovery of the springs occurred in 1893, when
1-12 early residents of this Central Texas town drilled a well while
1-13 searching for an additional water supply and were instead greeted
1-14 by a 50-foot-high steaming geyser; and
1-15 WHEREAS, After overcoming their initial surprise, Marlinites
1-16 quickly discovered the therapeutic value of that newfound spring,
1-17 and while the city and its bathhouses and hotels grew around the
1-18 outflow, Marlin and its hot mineral springs gained recognition as
1-19 one of the world's preeminent health resorts; and
1-20 WHEREAS, The recuperative value of Marlin's mineral springs
1-21 is well documented, and whether used for bathing or consumed
1-22 internally, the health-giving waters have been shown to provide
1-23 relief from numerous disorders and to help cleanse the body of
1-24 toxins; and
1-25 WHEREAS, More recently, Marlin's citizens have used the
1-26 steaming springs as an alternative form of energy, harnessing the
1-27 geothermal discharge and using it as an economical source of power
1-28 for the city; this latest innovation has not only lessened the
1-29 reliance on natural gas but has also served as a blueprint for
1-30 other cities with natural geothermal capability; and
1-31 WHEREAS, For more than a century, the hot mineral water
1-32 springs of Marlin have been an integral part of the growth and
1-33 development of this fine city, and the inextricable link that
1-34 exists between the two is indeed reason to christen Marlin the
1-35 Official Hot Mineral Water City of Texas; now, therefore, be it
1-36 RESOLVED, That the 76th Texas Legislature of the State of
1-37 Texas hereby designate Marlin as the Official Hot Mineral Water
1-38 City of Texas and extend sincere best wishes to the residents of
1-39 this outstanding city; and, be it further
1-40 RESOLVED, That an official copy of this resolution be
1-41 prepared for the citizens of Marlin as a token of high regard by
1-42 the Texas House of Representatives and Senate.
1-43 * * * * *
The Sanitarium Bath House
This building no longer exists, but is an example of the elaborate
that were once part of Marlin's mineral water craze.
Click here to see more photos